Norms and togetherness
A good stay with us depends on everybody contributing to the community.
A community is good when everyone seeks to live in accordance to the values and the standards we set. No one likes to be controlled and be disciplined all the time; it just creates a culture driven by distrust and strong regulations.
Confidence and self-control is something that make everyone grow. Therefore, it is imperative that everybody who has their everyday life at Kalø work together and contribute to the community and take responsibility not just to his own well-being, but also others’ well-being.
As a school we try not to spend great energy and efforts to enforce rules and identify inappropriate behaviour. Therefore, we only have few rules, and therefore expect that everybody who are here support our standards.
These rules are based on our values, our experience and good common practice on Danish Agricultural Schools. You ought to focus on working with yourself for training purposes and being able to handle a job on a farm.
Commitment, professionalism and attitude are key words that define our approach to being together at Kalø.
Overall, we work from the two following standards of good conduct:
- You must not behave in a way that will affect the quality of the teaching your classmates
- You must not behave in a way that will affect the quality of the teaching you
The general norms are supported by the following rules and guidelines:
- Attendance, absence and work load
- Smoke-free school
- Narcotics, alcohol and smoking
Students must attend all classes and corridor meetings incl. cleaning and participate in the washing-up in the kitchen and other obligatory events that may be outside of normal teaching.
All school courses at Kalø are full-time studies. This means that you should expect a workload of 37 hours a week. They are divided between teacher-led teaching, study café and homework.
GUIDELINES FOR VIRTUAL TEACHING ON MS TEAMS ETC.
In all virtual teaching, as in ordinary teaching, one must follow the teacher’s instructions and the school’s general rules of conduct. The rules below apply to the virtual teaching hours
- Your camera must be turned on during teaching if the teacher requests it
- Your microphone must be switched off when teaching starts
- You are not allowed to record, take screenshots or the like in connection with virtual teaching
- You are not allowed to exclude or mute other students from the teaching on Teams, or to give access to unauthorized participants
- You must be ready for teaching and participate actively throughout the virtual teaching. This means that you must be present throughout the lessons. You may be considered absent if your teacher considers that you are not present. If you arrive late for the online teaching, you have to let the teacher know that you have arrived.
The individual teacher has the opportunity to deviate from the above rules if necessary to complete the virtual teaching.
Violation of the above guidelines and all other misuse of the virtual aids can lead to sanctions, cf. Viden Djurs’ study and order rules.
In sickness and absence, you must notify it on UDDATA+ before 08.00 in the morning. On arrival you will receive a personal code to UDDATA+.
If you are too ill to notify it on UDDATA+ yourself, ask a room- or classmate or a teacher to help, and if necessary, to call a doctor. If you are sick for more than 1 day you should travel home to your family or your nearest relatives.
In sickness or if you are late, you are obligated to notify it on UDDATA+, and you are also obliged to contact your employer.
REMEMBER that you ought to notify your sickness on UDDATA+ every day – also for longer periods of illness.
In case of sickness, you do not have access to the dining hall. You are welcome to ask a room- or classmate to bring you a dish.
Your contact teacher must approve the absence and enter it in UDDATA+. You must apply for excused absenteeism no later than the day before you are absent.
For students under the age of 18 we will automatically send e-mails to guardians in case of absence via UDDATA+.
The following entitles you to excused absenteeism:
- Medical specialist, hospital and emergency appointments with a dentist, doctor or the like. Documentation may be required; e.g. a medical certificate or a copy of a notice from a specialist physician. Documentation is provided to the student counselor. The school principal and your classroom teacher have access to the documentation.
- Internship conversations. Documentation may be required for the interview or the employer may contact the school.
- School-related work agreed with the school. The student must register the cause in UDDATA+
- Official exams and exams related to the education as well as any out-of-school teaching.
- Theory test, driving test, motorway driving and driving practice under special conditions such as on icy roads – i.e. NOT ordinary theory lessons and driving lessons.
- Military draft board
- The very day of death and funeral of immediate family.
The teacher is responsible for registering absences at the start of each lesson.
In absence without a legitimate notice on UDDATA+ it will cause unlawful absence. It is the individual teacher who can change the registration.
Students who arrive late are registered with an unlawful absence throughout the lesson.
Through absence statistics, the class teacher is obliged to keep up to date with the absence. Absence is followed up every Monday as a minimum.
If a student reaches more than 5% in a subject and / or in total absence, the subject teacher / class teacher holds an initial interview.
If a student reaches more than 10% in a subject and / or in total absence, the head of the school holds an interview where an oral warning is given.
If a student reaches more than 15% in a subject and / or in total absence, the head of the school holds a conversation in which a written warning is given.
In all cases, guardianship for students under the age of 18 will be informed.
It is up to the school’s management to assess which consequence / sanction is appropriate in the specific situation. In particularly severe cases or in repeat cases, the school does not have to issue a warning before it imposes more extensive sanctions.
- Exclusion from specific events or activities
- Temporary exclusion from teaching for an agreed period of time (recorded as unlawful absence)
- Expulsion (school discharge)
- Stop of SU (the State Education Fund)
- Involvement of parents / guardians, the municipality, police and / or other public bodies
- For cheating in internal assignments and tests: Written warning. In case of repeated cases, the examinee cannot attend exam.
- In case of late submission of assignment: They count as not completed assignment. Assignment is understood as both written and oral submissions.
- In case of cheating at the exam: Expulsion from the exam, and a new test can only be taken for the next exam period
- Claims for compensation for things or personal injury (possibly via insurance company)
- Claims for compensation for failure to return school materials, books, computers, etc. New price is required
- Discharge at one’s own expense (e.g. from study trips and other events)
- Requirements for a course of treatment (e.g. Syddjurs’ Rehab Center)
As a starting point, job interviews etc. are placed outside of teaching hours. If this is not possible (for example for family events), you must arrange the absence directly with your class teacher or the head of education.
In the absence, you are obliged to keep up to date on schoolwork, including homework and announcements.
In case of illness, you must also report to your employer in accordance with the guidelines applicable in the company concerned.
Other absences beyond 1 day must also be agreed with your employer in advance. Your employer must give his acceptance in writing in the form of an email to your class teacher.
In rare cases, we can resort to expulsion or resignation if none of the above conversations have had the desired effect.
For students under the age of 18, parents or guardians will be informed. For students over the age of 18, parents or guardians can be informed in agreement with the student.
Students are covered by the school’s Work Injury Coverage if an injury occurs in connection with “teaching under workplace-like conditions”. That is, when you work/receive teaching at Brogården, in one of the school’s workshops or in the laboratory. If the damage occurs due to inappropriate behavior or by unregulated use of machines or tools, the school’s insurance does not cover damages. In such cases, it is your own insurance that will cover damages.
On study trips abroad, Kalø Organic Agricultural College takes out travel insurance for all participants on the trip.
In all other teaching, transport, excursion and break situations and in the event of theft, etc. you are not covered by the school’s insurance, but by your own insurance. The school encourages you to have a valid contents, travel, liability and accident insurance.
If a student uses a product/thing, made at Kalø Organic Agricultural College as part of the teaching, for private purposes and a property and/or personal injury occurs in connection with the use, it is also the student’s own liability insurance that must cover any damage.
All students have access to our WIFI. The system can be overloaded to the detriment of all, when someone chooses to use illegal programs to download and share files. You are therefore not allowed to use illegal programs let alone put a strain on the network in general by downloading large amounts of data.
- In general – clean up after yourself wherever you are.
- Respect and fulfil the instructions from the staff.
- Service and food must not be removed from the dining room, except in case of sickness. Always follow the kitchen staff’s instructions.
- Cars may only be parked in the parking lot.
- Bicycles should be parked in the shed.
- Do not bring pets to school.
Possession and / or use of all kinds of drugs lead to immediate expulsion from the school.
If anyone exhibits a behaviour that warrants suspicion of drug use, he or she will be part of the school required urine test, and renouncing the test lead will lead to expulsion with immediate effect.
The agricultural school is a place of learning, training and working for many people of different backgrounds. Everyone has to get up early every day to follow classes or do their job.
At Kalø Organic Agricultural College there are smoke-free school hours valid from the time you arrive until your last teaching lessons end. This means that you are not allowed to smoke, vape or use snus during school hours, neither on school grounds nor outside school grounds.
This applies to all tobacco-related products, i.e. products with tobacco and nicotine that are not approved as medicines – including cigarettes, e-cigarettes, chewing tobacco, snus, tobacco-free snus, heated tobacco and the like – but also other related products such as e-cigarettes without nicotine, as there is a negative effect for all these products.
- For study trips, excursions and conferences, smoke-free school hours apply to the scheduled teaching time.
- At Friday cafés, it is permitted to use tobacco outside the school area after the last teaching lesson.
- At apprenticeship tests and end-of-term celebrations, it is permitted to use tobacco outside the school area after the last teaching lesson.
- At student parties and other special events, permission can be given to use tobacco outside of school grounds.
- In school homes, smoking is allowed under the eaves at the folk high school’s building “Gadekæret” after school hours. Smoking in the room entails cleaning from an external supplier. You will receive a bill of DKK 2,500. Dismantling of fire alarms will result in a fine of DKK 5,000.
Permission from parents or guardians
Permissions for young people under the age of 18, who must be allowed to consume alcohol or smoke, are sent to the class teachers.
Therefore, we have the following rules for alcohol
Therefore, we have the following rules:
- All events at Kalø Organic Agricultural College are basically alcohol-free.
- Alcohol is allowed at the school on special occasions, but only if there is an agreement with the school’s head of education or his/her deputy.
- There must be no alcohol or alcohol consumption in your rooms or in the living areas.
- Alcohol consumption can only take place in the café (Hegnet) during the café evenings from 19 – 22 o’clock. These evenings are not for partying let alone immense consumption of alcohol.
- Partying is only permitted during weekends (Friday or Saturday) and exclusively when responsible participants from the café-committee are present (at least 2) and always in agreement with the responsible teacher.
- Alcohol that can be consumed at the Agricultural School is limited to beer, wine and Breezer. Hard liquor is not allowed.
- You are not allowed to bring your own drinks to the café; they must be purchased there.
We reserve the right to make agreements with individual classes and students in relation to amended rules, when age and experience prompt it.
The café is only open to students from the school. If you want to invite a guest, you must fill out a guest registration in the office no later than the day before.
- Smoking is only allowed outside the shed called “Gadekæret” underneath the roof extension.
- Smoking in your room prompts cleaning from an external supplier. The price is kr. 2.500,-.
- Detachment of smoke-alarms will result in a penalty of kr. 5.000,-
Permission from teachers or guardian
For people under 18 years of age, a written alcohol- and smoking-permission from parent or guardian is required and must be send to the class teacher by mail or e-mail.
Violence and / or threats of violence against students, teachers or other personnel will result in immediate expulsion from school.
Theft leads to police notification and expulsion with immediate effect.
If situations occur Monday – Thursday after 16.00, Friday after 13.00 and on weekends, which demands that a staff member steps in, the following persons can be contacted:
Teacher Louise Øe Madsen: +45 25 21 42 41
Teacher and farm manager Frederik Nue Møller: +45 30 61 50 01
Headmaster Nikolaj Houkjær: +45 30 32 85 45
The post Box is placed by the entrance in the hall by the yard. It is emptied all weekdays at 8 am. Parcels are to be received at the office.
Remember to register Thursday at lunch if you are staying the following weekend.
If you are registered for special meals (vegetarian or non-pork etc.) remember to inform the kitchen if you are not joining the meals. Lunch is eaten at 12.10 precisely. All other meals are self-catered.
|Breakfast||07.15 – 07.45|
|Lunch||12.10 – 12.30|
|Dinner||17.30 – 18.15|
Eating times weekend:
If you have family or friends visit you should no later than 2 days in advance go to the office and register and pay for board and logde. You will inform the kitchen. You are allowed guests 2-4 days , not for longer periods.
|Overnight per. person|
(if the guest is able to sleepmin your room it is free)
|DKK. 130,- per. Overnight per person|
|Rent of bed linen and towel.||DKK 70,-|
Paid in advance to mobilepay 54789
Office Opening hours for Students are: Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 12.0 and 13.15.
- Students who rent bed linen, shift bed linen every second week, price 120 DKK7month. Handing and receiving of the bed linen is at the janitor and paid at the office.
- There is a launderette in the basement in Rugen where there is soap for the machines. The coins are bought at the office 12 DKK/PCS.
- The students are to pay for medicine themselves. The school has a limited FirstAid kit in case of emergency. Contact staff room or Principal.
Useful phone numbers
Emergency medical service: 7011 3131
Lægerne Solsortevej: 8637 1255
Solsortevej 10, 8410 Rønde
Phone consultation 8.00-9.00. Medicine-ordering and appointment booking 9.00-12.00. Consultation only if you made an appointment.
Læge Marianne Bjerager: 8636 7922
Hovedgaden 11, 1., 8410 Rønde
Phone consultation 8.00-9.00. Consultation only if you made an appointment.
Appointment booking 09.00-12.00
Lægerne Ulrik & Stork: 8637 2888
Birkevej 37, 8410 Rønde
Phone consultation 8.00-9.00. Consultation only if you made an appointment.
Medicine-ordering and appointment-booking 9.00-14.00.
Hovedgaden 49, 8410 Rønde
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 14.00 – 17.00
Tuesday: 10.00 – 17.00